From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 10:12 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Eartquaque in Japan

On 2011, Mar 14, , at 09:34, Bill Nettles wrote:

I have never understood why the electrical supply for nuclear power
plants must come from off-site grid. Yes, in general, run them on the off-
site grid, but allow the possibility to shift to local generation rather
than depending on diesel generators which get scheduled, but short term
testing. From what I've read, the diesels operated for about an hour, then
failed. Yeah, that's not surprising when they've never been run for over
an hour.

this may be already duplicated, and couldn't resist. -- I've been tortured
at the UCSF Dental School al day.

The diesels failed because they were inundated by the Tsunami, and

2, then they switched to battery for about 4 => 8 hr. I understand (a)
diesel(s) was brought in, but they couldn't connect it -- strange.

bc