Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

I agree with what Rick has posted below. I have had considerable difficulty, however, testing conceptual understanding. I have tried in the past to get away from "plug and chug" problems on exams and use more essay type questions meant to test conceptual understanding. Those efforts failed miserably. I'm sure part of the problem was my inability to write good coneptual questions. However, I found that a big part of the poor performance was the students inability to read questions and to write coherent answers. They do far better with textbook type problems where they can organize material in a template and plug numbers into a formula. Most can explain to me verbally how they attacked a problem - I can tell when they come to my office for help that they really do understand the physics and have gotten hung up on a minor detail - but they cannot give a written explanation of the same concept they have just explained to me verbally.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Dr. Richard Tarara [rtarara@saintmarys.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:46 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

----- Original Message -----
From: "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>

Is our mission teaching physics or teaching students how to do well
solving textbook physics problems? I realize that students have to be able
to do this type of problem on exams and standardized tests, but I feel
that sometimes there is an undue emphasis on rote problem solving. I think
JD alluded to the same idea in an earlier posting.

In my mind, any 'problem solving' courses--usually our Algebra based and
Calculus based courses--need dual emphasis on both problem solving and
conceptual understanding. The old assumption that you 'must' understand the
concepts if you can do the problems is just plain wrong (unless the problems
are _expertly_ crafted to draw out the concepts). What Fouad suggests is
WAY TOO mechanical--maybe OK for a week or two of getting into problem
solving, but in the end would produce 'lab tech' problem solvers, not
'scientist' problem solvers. Given a problem with extra information or
needed information that had to be inferred, I think the 'lab tech types
would be at a loss. Problem solving is a good tool towards critical
thinking skills, something any good scientist/engineer must be able to do,
but you haven't mastered the physics without a strong conceptual
understanding and I really don't think that kind of understanding can be
assessed by problem solving alone. Conceptual quizzes, IMO, need to be a
part of any physics course--probably clear on up to Quantum!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana

Free Physics Instructional Software
New 'Hi-Def' versions being posted as completed.