Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

----- Original Message ----- From: "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>

Is our mission teaching physics or teaching students how to do well solving textbook physics problems? I realize that students have to be able to do this type of problem on exams and standardized tests, but I feel that sometimes there is an undue emphasis on rote problem solving. I think JD alluded to the same idea in an earlier posting.

In my mind, any 'problem solving' courses--usually our Algebra based and Calculus based courses--need dual emphasis on both problem solving and conceptual understanding. The old assumption that you 'must' understand the concepts if you can do the problems is just plain wrong (unless the problems are _expertly_ crafted to draw out the concepts). What Fouad suggests is WAY TOO mechanical--maybe OK for a week or two of getting into problem solving, but in the end would produce 'lab tech' problem solvers, not 'scientist' problem solvers. Given a problem with extra information or needed information that had to be inferred, I think the 'lab tech types would be at a loss. Problem solving is a good tool towards critical thinking skills, something any good scientist/engineer must be able to do, but you haven't mastered the physics without a strong conceptual understanding and I really don't think that kind of understanding can be assessed by problem solving alone. Conceptual quizzes, IMO, need to be a part of any physics course--probably clear on up to Quantum!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana

Free Physics Instructional Software
New 'Hi-Def' versions being posted as completed.