Re: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect puzzlement

On 2011, Dec 07, , at 08:46, John Denker wrote:

As previously mentioned, the correct physics has to do with
tidal strain and internal friction. It doesn't matter whether
the object started out symmetrical or not.

I'm confused here. I thought there were two effects. Energy conversion due to tidal absorption that results in object separation, and rotation period change. Is the latter also due to energy absorption, or is it possible with a rigid asymmetrical satellite?

bc