From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of Anthony Lapinski
[Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:57 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu; tap-l@lists.ncsu.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect

I know that the Earth spins eastward, which deflects winds to the west
(clockwise) in the northern hemisphere and to the west (counterclockwise)
in the southern hemisphere. However, hurricanes spin counterclockwise in
the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. I don't
fully comprehend this. Maybe it's more complicated than I think. Are there
other forces at work here, or am I just missing/misunderstanding
something?

Just trying to explain this in "basic" terms to kids and possibly do a
demo (e.g., using a marble and rotating turntable).

Any ideas/activities would be much appreciated.