Re: [Phys-l] [Electric potential of charged spheres

________________________________

From: John Denker <jsd@av8n.com>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Thursday, 1 December 2011 2:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] [Electric potential of charged spheres

Work is done against repulsion when we bring the together and work is
done by the charges when you seperate them. Should we not take these
also into account

Note:  In this step (and all other steps), total charge remains
constant.  In all steps /except/ this one, the charge on each sphere
remains constant.

3) Bring them together again.  In so doing, you do work against
their mutual electrostatic repulsion. That is to say, the energy
of the system goes up.

4) Voltage is energy per unit charge.  The energy went up, so the
voltage went up.  The new voltage /must/ be greater than 5V.