Re: [Phys-l] [Electric potential of charged spheres

On 2011, Nov 30, , at 12:30, John Denker wrote:

Tangential suggestion: I recommend talking about _the voltage_ rather
than «the electric potential». That's because not every voltage is a
potential. Not every electric field is the gradient of some potential.

In this thread, we are talking about electrostatics, so the voltage is
in fact a potential ... but we don't want students to develop bad habits.
Treating voltage as synonymous with potential is a bad habit, and will
cause confusion later on. There is something to gain and nothing to lose
by formulating this problem in terms of voltage.

True, that's why, when JD used the Betatron as an example, I stopped using that word; now I use EMF. Am I the only one who objects to using the unit(s) word for the "thing" measured? How many used, in the old days, abvoltage or statvoltage? No one of you uses meterage or amperage for length or current, no?

bc trying to edge out Dr. hake.

PD difference is still valid?