Re: [Phys-l] musical instruments

Hi,

There is an oddity with musical instruments with fared ends. The lower frequencies may be associated with the length to the end of the flare, but the higher frequencies decouple from the flare when the diameter of the flare is about the wavelength. So higher "overtones" are higher in frequency then might be expected.

Thanks
Roger Haar
U-AZ

Anthony Lapinski wrote:
For my upcoming Sound topic, I am wanting a list of the LENGTHS of brass
instruments (bugle, trumpet, trombone, tuba, and French horn). I've
searched online with not much success. Does anyone know of a good source
for this information?