From: "Robert Yeend" <ryeend@sbcglobal.net>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:30:04 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] musical instruments

The University of Wisconsin, Madison, has produced a series of
science videos for the general public, called Science Bag Videos.
They include subjects in Biology, Chemistry, Geology, and PHYSICS and
are FREE for downloading from the following site:

http://www4.uwm.edu/letsci/sciencebag/videos/

One that I have used is

"The Clarinet, The Washtub, The Musical Nails: How Musical
Instruments Work" by Robert Greenler

The video is true to the advertising: "This is no ordinary music
lesson. The familiar out of the unfamiliar..."weird and wonderful
things"...a magician pulling sounds out of the air...a heightened
sense of physical principles and possibilities—all of these, and more
are at play in "The Clarinet, The Washtub, And The Musical Nails: How
Musical Instruments Work." Physicist Robert Greenler uses an eclectic
set of materials and an abundance of spontaneous humor to explore the
basic elements in the creation of music."

It's the only full length video I use in class, and once, when I had
to sub for a band class, I used it with good success. I have a
worksheet to go along with the video, if you'd be interested.

Bob Yeend

Justin-Siena High School
4026 Maher Street
Napa, CA 94558