Re: [Phys-l] musical instruments

The lowest note on a brass instrument is often called the 'pedal tone' (for reasons that I cannot fathom), VERY rarely heard (and when you DO hear it - you understand WHY). More of a 'fart' than a tone.

I'm interested in these technical measurements for a compare and contrast of the trumpet vs the cornet.
The cornet has a flare that covers much more of the total length of the instrument.
Much more 'mellow' than the trumpet. How do the measured lengths compare? (For the 'standard' B-flat instrument).

Note the different lengths for the 'Baritone' and the trombone.
Both are (IIRC) B-flat instruments. i.e. no valves actuated or no slide extension will give a B-flat tone.
The 'Baritone' has a much longer flare (like the cornet) while the t-bone has a more abrupt 'bell' as does the trumpet.

Great application of basic physics - with a serious nod to the 'real world' of art and aesthetics.