Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how" questions.

Two comments about this thread from other sources:

First, from a book about game theory that I am currently reading, I came across this just a few minutes ago:

"When looking for the ultimate rational principles that govern the universe, we can easily find ourselves in the situation like that of the man who goes into an army surplus store and inquires, "Do you have camouflage jackets?" to which the salesman replies, "We do indeed, but we have been unable to find them."

"Moral Calculations: Game Theory, Logic, and Human Frailty" by László Mérö (Springer-Verlag, 1998), p. 121

And second, from a teacher-joke titled "Why Teachers Drink" that is making the internet rounds at the moment:

A test question asks: "Explain why phosphorus trichloride (PCl3) is polar." To which a student replies: "God made it that way."

Happy holidays.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell