Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how" questions.

On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:59 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

Bob Zannelli wrote: "In an absolute sense the why question may have
no answer."

Not when we agree that "why X" is the same as "what caused X." For
example, "why was an explosion in my microwaves owen today?"

And here is a more familiar illustration. Why is a terminal velocity
reached by a parachute? Because of the "air resistance." What is
wrong with this answer in a physics class?

To which I responded:

Nothing's wrong with it, as far as it goes. From the philosophical
POV, however, it isn't the end of the line. There are a whole string
of further "why" questions that one could ask--"Why does air have
'resistance'?" "Why do the molecules of air impede the fall of the
object?". . . and so on, until one comes to the "ultimate" question,
in which case the answer must be of the nature "Because that's the
way nature works," or something like that.

And then . . .