Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how" questions.

William Robertson wrote:

If scientists overstate what science can do, is it any wonder that this creates mistrust of those delivering the message?

I think it is undeniable that, IF scientists overstate what science can do, it WOULD create mistrust. But the present tense construction of the second phrase of your sentence promotes the hypothetical proposition of the first phrase to the status of fact.

I have no doubt that examples exist of "scientists overstating what science can do," but I don't think it is at all representative of what scientists do or even common and I *especially* don't think that it is common for the scientific community to do so. It seems to me that, if anything, the scientific community almost always errs on the side of caution.

So, I'd be interested in having you provide a specific example or two of what you have in mind.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona