Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."

I would say that those are all fair (and accurate) statements.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Cohen
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:36 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."

It seems to me that stating either "evolution is a fact" (BW) OR
"evolution is not a fact" (WR) is to be avoided because the word
"evolution", without qualifiers, is too ambiguous.

Perhaps what Bill wanted to write was that, while we may debate the
proper wording, scientists should be clear that "evolution on a small
scale" is a fact but "global evolution of species over the history of
the Earth" is not. Is there consensus on that?

Also, can we agree that the theory of biological evolution (which
consists of natural selection as well as other processes) is, as
scientific theories go, a very strong theory for explaining the "global"
diversity of species?

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq