For the negative voltage you might try a Maxim 680. I haven't used it but it looks like it might work. You may need to buffer the output rather than directly connect it to the 723 as the output will change with the current drawn. I haven't crunched the numbers - just something to consider. Or just buy a fixed power supply with positive and negative outputs. But then the cost is probably too high.

I absolutely would not build the ac supply/transformer circuit for the input to the regulator. Too many liability issues. Rather purchase a UL listed wallwart of the appropriate ac voltage and current rating. This helps you avoid a myriad of legal problems and much simplifies your efforts. As long as the output voltage of the wallwart is below 25V or so you should not have to worry (much) about someone getting electrocuted.

Dan Beeker

On 11/17/10 6:38 PM, phys-l-request@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu wrote:
From: "Don McQuarrie"<mcquarrd@comcast.net>
Subject: [Phys-l] 5v power supply
To:<phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

I'm looking ahead to some new lab work in my physics class and have found a
need for several adjustable 5volt power supplies. Were I to attempt to buy
them commercially, I'd be out my budget for the next decade (ok - a bit
exaggerated), but building them would be a cool project, especially if I
could get some perf boards pre done. Does anyone have a suggestion for a low
end 5v adjustable (down) power supply schematic? Cheap is an operative word
right now in the state of Washington. It would be much appreciated.