[Phys-l] About black zones in screens

Hello:

I would like to ask a question to the experts in optics. We are considering the screen image generated by a classroom projector in the case of a picture with black and white boxes, like the chess table. Are the black zones of the screen generated by absence of light (relying in an eye illusion), or they have some particular color ?. I have heard that some new LCD or LEDs TVs are using a particular light length.

My best regards.
Roberto