Re: [Phys-l] Richard Dawkins Answers Reddit Questions

1) I doubt many on this list are 'quick to judge' on this issue. I suspect many who would take a negative view towards religion have come (as I have) from religious backgrounds and might well judge that the negatives outweigh the positives. [Being educated through College at religious institutions is a pretty sure path towards basic agreement with Dawkins ;-) ]

2) I would suggest separating RELIGION and THEOLOGY. The former tends to be the dogmatic, ritualistic endeavors many of us might characterize as 'superstitious nonesense' while the latter is the much more intellectual approach to the topic of deism. It is strong belief in RELIGION that many here (if I interpret correctly) would question in as far as being able to separate such belief from one's scientific activities. No doubt such a separatiom is possible for some, but I suspect if you had a colleague with a firm and vocal belief that Santa Claus really does check his list and delivers all those toys, you might be suspicious of his/her scientific objectivity. ;-)

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: <marx@phy.ilstu.edu>

Yes, many religions accept that science has added to human knowledge and
have adapted to findings. In my classes as I talk to students about
science and religion I say that each has its role. Religion serves many
functions that science doesn't address. Really, they are two different
human endeavors. Religious people should not be attacked out of hand for
being religious. You can be a scientist and accept the findings of
science and still belong to the Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. faiths.
Others should not be so quick to judge.