Re: [Phys-l] Finishing up with that Dead Horse.

That's why I prefer the bathroom scale definition. Of course in teaching one must explain that the weight is due to more than just the presence of one big mass.

bc

p.s. IIRC the better gravitometers use a mass drop, which will be influenced by more than the presence of earth masses (plural to include mountains, etc.). Horologists rate the quality of pendulum clocks by their ability to detect the presence of the moon.