Re: [Phys-l] Finishing up with that Dead Horse.

I am comfortable with a few tens of grains of sand - the word "layer" starts making me uneasy becuse it's fuzzy.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Chuck Britton [cvbritton@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:55 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Finishing up with that Dead Horse.

At 12:41 PM -0500 11/7/10, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
First of all - I have no clue what "flexion" means.

bending - like a strain gauge.

However, The force that the aquarium bottom exerts on whatever is
touching it under the "shadow" of the lead cube seems to break down
into 3 simple case - and an infinite number of fuzzily defined ones.

1) The lead cube is suspended by a cable above the aquarium floor by
about 1/4 inch. The force against the aquarium flloor - and its
force upward against the water is PB (pressure of the water at the
level of the bottom of the tank but away from the vicinity of the
cube) times the area of the shadow ..... PB*A

2) The lead cube (maybe 4 inches across) held up from the floor of
the tank by 4 quarter inch diameter dowels. The upward force from
the portion of the tank under the shadow is Mg +PT*A-PB*A. Here M is
the mass of the cube, PT is the pressure of the water at the top of
the cube, and A is the area of the shadow. (I am obviously
neglecting the area of the dowels.)

3) The lead cube totally osculates the bottom of the tank excluding
all water. The upward force from the portion of the tank bottom
under the shadow is Mg + PT*A.

As far as what occurs for a "rough" surface - I have no clue until
"rough" is defined.

Bob at PC

Someone suggested a layer of sand for roughness.
You'd say that sand would be like your dowels in case 2)??