Re: [Phys-l] Temp & Energy density

John Denker wrote:
I reckon there are several ideas that need to be clarified:

Hmmm.....yes!
-- Temperature is not the same as energy density. Suppose
we have a 500 psi bottle of compressed air and also a 1000 psi bottle, both at 300K, both standard size. The latter has quite a bit more energy (and energy density).

It is certainly possible to observe two bottles of compressed air
at the same temperature but differing energy density - when they have cooled down from the compression phase, naturally.

The topic under discussion (as I thought) was some quite unrealistic
compression of a very low pressure or very low temperature gas.
Would you expect a gas container to be warmer when it is compressed
for more realistic conditions?

Brian W