Re: [Phys-l] Temp & Energy density

Paul Lulai wrote:
Hello.
I am curious about the conditions for which energy density = temp of a gas.
For this question I have a small cylinder if gas with only a few gas particles.
Using work, if I squeeze a piston down when the few gas particles are at the bottom of the cylinder, then I have not given them any extra energy through a work process. Their temperature should remain constant.
Using energy density, this sneaky work can't be ignored. Energy density would show a temp difference regardless of how the piston was compressed.
This leads me to think the energy density solution includes some assumptions that I do not know.
I appreciate any help available.
Thanks.

If you compress a cylinder of gas (even a few molecules) then, in the
usual kinetic theory the pressure which those molecules exerted on
impacting walls and pistons now impact a smaller area, a higher
pressure and warmer, surely?

Brian W