Re: [Phys-l] models of radioactivity

On 04/20/2009 12:57 PM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
Perhaps a minor point, but it initially threw me off, and perhaps
others, was Hugh's use of the letter p for the radioactive decay
constant. There is a standard symbol for the decay constant, and it is
lower-case lambda. Thus, the half life is ln(2)/lambda.

It seems to me there are at least three points in play here.

Let's suppose for the moment that the intended object of interest
was in fact the "radioactive decay constant". It's not 100% clear
that this was the original intention, but it is at least plausible,
given how this object appeared in the original equation (1):

T = (ln 2)/p (1)

I see the issues as:
a) What symbol is used for this object;
b) How this object is defined in words; and
c) How this object is used later in the calculation.

I agree with M.E. that item (a) is a minor point. I have nothing
to add or subtract, except to say that this minor point should not
distract us from (b) and (c), which are more important points, i.e.
real conceptual points. Concepts are always more important than
notation.

The original post defined "p" in a way that is inconsistent with
the established definition of radioactive decay constant. It went
on to use this symbol in a way consistent with the unconventional
definition (and therefore inconsistent with conventional usage).