Re: [Phys-l] Energy use (was CFLs)

The problem is really not that the U.S. uses too much energy (OK, a
little
too much), it is that the rest of the world uses too little to provide
21st century living standard to their people.

That, of course, begs the question "What is the right amount of energy
use?" and the related question "Where will we get that energy?"

I would propose that the answer to the first question is "As much as we
can sustainably (100+ yr time-scales) produce." The goal SHOULD be to
raise up the per capita use for those who do not enjoy the benefits of
energy use, not to cut back those who benefit from the advantages of
energy use.

Of course, "sustainable" must also include the ecological effects -
pollution, global warming, destruction of habitat, etc. It could even
include aesthetic factors (like power lines or pristine wilderness or
skylines) or political factors (like handling of nuclear waste or
concerns over weapon-grade nuclear fuels).

Unfortunately, I don't see any real answers that don't involve some
rather drastic choices - most of which come down to population! From
what I can figure out at current rates:

* We do not have 100+ yr reserves of fossil fuels (and there are global
warming concerns)
* We do not have 100+ yr reserves of uranium (and there are disposal
concerns)
* We do not have 100+ yr reserves of copper (to expand distribution and
to build several 100,000 generators for wind turbines)
* We do not have enough land to grow food AND biofuels to replace
petroleum. (And even current agricultural practices are not sustainable
in many areas).

Solar holds promise it seems (it requires vast land, but the sun should
keep shining for well beyond 100 years!), as do geothermal and energy
from the oceans.

It looks like we need to (or will be forced to).
* cut back on energy use
* expand the few truly sustainable sources that can deliver huge
quantities of energy
* find completely new sources (fusion???)
* decrease the world population

Am I missing something?

Tim Folkerts