Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures -- a modest proposal

On Apr 5, 2009, at Apr 5(Sun) 6:22 , John Denker wrote:
<snip>
The best part, he says, is that you would only need about
15 volcanoes, if you set them off at intervals, one every
three years. That's because in 50 years or so, if present
trends continue, we will have used up all the fossil carbon
fuels, and the CO2 problem will have gone away on its own.

How so? CO2 would no longer be INCREASING but wouldn't be sticking at the max?

<snip>
The acid rain would probably kill every frog in the world,
and every coral, but they're probably doomed anyway, so
who cares.

A somewhat similar 'fix' would be to begin massive liquifaction efforts and dump the LCO2 into designated deep ocean trenches. The trench would contain the liquid with minimal interface with the 'real' ocean so acidification 'might' not be disastrous. Good monitoring of the T profile of the 'dump' might not prevent a Lake Niosh event - but could probably predict it well enough to keep surface ships from falling into a giant erupting bubble of CO2.

Similarly, we should be dropping our glassified reactor waste into oceanic subduction zones.
Returning it to the inner earth - hopefully to not be vented in a nearby volcano during our lifetimes ;-)