Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:06:32 -0500
From: Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures
To: marx@phy.ilstu.edu, Forum for Physics Educators
<phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

It's interesting to estimate the thermal time constant of the Earth.
This would be
an important underlying trend line effect resulting from any significant
change of solar heating.
As I recall, Kelvin did such an estimate, neglecting the effect of
nuclear internal heating.
His estimate for the Earth's age amounted to a small number of million
years, for it to cool to the present ambient.
I imagine that would place the terrestrial TTC at perhaps 200 kyr about....
I ask myself: if the Earth acted like a homogeneous body with a thermal
time constant of 200 kyr, and there was a step increase of say 5% in
solar heating: then after ten years, what would be the expected increase
in mean World temperature from say 4K through 288K? Maybe (288K- 4K) *
5% * 10/200000 = 0.7 milliK

We seem to be dealing with some change of rather larger magnitude. Then
again, the
lowest 30,000 ft of atmosphere, and highest 1000 feet of Earth - ground
and sea are far from a uniform passive material.

Brian W

marx@phy.ilstu.edu wrote:
Rick and others,

There has been a flattening and perhaps a slight decline in global temperatures, depending on the
dataset you look at. One could draw the conclusion that there is not a direct connection between
increased CO2 and global temperatures or that there are more parameters that need to be considered.
The modelers claim that the influence of the Sun is minimal. However, it is curious that the flattening
and slight decrease are coming at a time when solar activity is at a century minimum.

In the late 90s and first few years of this decade, solar activity was at a long term high...

Check out the report from NASA this week...
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/01apr_deepsolarminimum.htm