Re: [Phys-l] Photocopier toner

On 03/27/2009 08:33 AM, Arlyn DeBruyckere wrote:
.... When I started grading the reports I was surprised to see many
students saying that the toner was also charged.

Think about where the uncharged toner would go.

It would pick up an induced dipole in proportion to the
electric field _gradient_ and would therefore go to the
_edges_ of the image on the drum. The result would be a
weird silhouette.

This is not entirely hypothetical; there is always some
uncharged toner floating around, and it is a well-known
imperfection of old and/or broken copiers that they tend
to exaggerate edges in the image, making copies look
"sharper" than the original.

=========

All in all, a photocopier uses a seriously complicated
multi-step process. I don't recommend trying to figure it
out by guessing.

FWIW note that old-style "analog" photocopiers are about
as obsolete and as quaint as penny-farthing bicycles.
Nowadays what you get is a scanner plus a digital printer.

Note that the physics is significantly different. Digital
printers -- if they use an electrostatic drum at all -- use
a negative process (the light beam exposes the drum to make
a dark place in the final document) unlike the analog process
which was, obviously, a positive process (light erased the
drum, making a light place in the final document).