[Phys-l] Photocopier toner

Ending a lab on static electricity I added a question that required students to look up how a photocopier worked. Knowing that it worked on static electricity principals (and many others). I thought it would be a good experience for them to see a practical application. I fully expected differing sites to say the paper (or drum depending on the style of photocopier) was positive and in other sites to say that it was negative. The sites that didn't say the toner was positive (or negative) didn't say anything about the toner being neutral and then polarized either. When I started grading the reports I was surprised to see many students saying that the toner was also charged. When I assigned the question I was trying to get the students to see an application of neutral objects being polarized by a charged particle. In the case of photocopiers the toner getting polarized and sticking to the parts of the paper that were charged positive (or negative). I did a Google search and checked a number of websites yesterday and many of them stated that the toner was charged opposite the paper (either positive or negative depending on the style of machine). This was astounding to me. I would expect that if the toner was all charged negative for example that it would be very difficult to get it into the copier - the fine toner would be repelled by the same charge toner already there and would make a mess. I was counting on the toner being neutral and being attracted because of polarization. There was one site that even described the negative toner being attracted to the paper like pepper being attracted to a charged balloon. We just did this in the experiment but the pepper did not have a charge that I could tell. It certainly wasn't repelled from the positive glass rod or repelled from the negative balloon. Does anyone have direct experience with this? Is the toner in a real copy machine charged before it is applied to the paper? I'm quite convinced that it is not charged in the toner containers that are put into the machine.
--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Science Teacher

HHS Weather at http://www.hutch.k12.mn.us/weather