Re: [Phys-l] Climate Change - Is it Controversial?

This paper seems to concern itself with bituminous coal.
Lignite coal would show even lower carbon content, I expect?

Brian W

Jack Uretsky wrote:
See
http://admin.pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50291a021
which gives, for anthracite (by weight)
78 \pm 12% C and 20 \pm 12% H. Since the atomic weight of carbon is 12 and that of H is 1 (the H is combined in compounds), there is about one hydrogen atom available for each 7, or so, carbon atoms.
Burning of coal, therefore, is not a simple process of combining carbon with oxygen.
Regards,

Carbon is not, except in rare instances, a fuel. The fuels we use are
hydrocarbons....
Jack
Huh? Anthracite coal, the formerly dominant fuel of steam locomotives,
is reckoned to offer between 92% to 98% carbon....

Brian W