Re: [Phys-l] Climate Change - Is it Controversial?

So, can we agree that coal and oil are biofuels?

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Kilmer, Skip <kilmers@greenhill.org> wrote:

From: Kilmer, Skip <kilmers@greenhill.org>
Subject: RE: [Phys-l] Climate Change - Is it Controversial?
To: "rcarlson@physicstoolkit.com" <rcarlson@physicstoolkit.com>, "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>, "appell@nasw.org" <appell@nasw.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 8:33 AM
I'm not sure where you are going with this, Robert, so
I'll try a gambit and see where you take it. The issue
is that we are turning concentrated carbon into CO2 and
releasing it into the atmosphere where it blankets the
surface and warms the planet. Fortunately, sources of
concentrated carbon are limited; although not to the point
which can prevent us from profoundly changing our climate in
incompletely predictable ways. Most of this carbon, whether
in the form of petroleum or coal, was concentrated by
organisms millions of years ago, which died in such
conditions that the carbon concentrations were piled up and
preserved until we got the idea to dig them up and recombine
them with oxygen. Some of the carbon (part of the methane we
burn) may be primordial, but most of it seems to be
associated with petroleum deposits.
What now?
Skip