Re: [Phys-l] Big Bang density

In a message dated 3/11/2009 8:10:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org writes:

The cover story on the current (April, 2009) issue of Astronomy is, Why
The Universe Had No Beginning. Astronomers claim that at this time, the
universe had infinite density (zero volume). This has puzzled me for some
time. Isn't there a "maximum" density for matter? I mean, stuff is
composed of fundamental particles which supposedly have mass and take up
space. Or maybe their wave-like properties change this? Maybe the physical
laws as we know them today were somehow much different during this time?
Still, I find it difficult (mind boggling!) to understand that all the
matter in the entire universe was compressed into a single point.

Does anyone know how this infinite density idea can be explained? Is it
being challenged by anyone in the scientific community? Or is this
something we all have to accept?

)))))))))))))

We don't know anything for certain about this because we don't have a
Quantum theory of gravity. But there is good reason to believe that the singularity
predicted from the semi classical theory of gravity will go the way of the
ultraviolet catastrophe question for black body radiation that was such a
problem at the beginning of the 20th century.

The Hawking Hartle model for example eliminates the singularity by modeling
the early Universe with a wick rotation at the start of the Big Bang event.
This can be likened to the phase of the Quantum wave function becoming complex
valued during tunneling processes. Time in this case might be thought of as
emergent due to Decoherence in the early Universe. Vic Stenger has written an
accessible paper using the H-H model. See link.

Bob Zannelli

_http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0710/0710.3137.pdf_
(http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0710/0710.3137.pdf)

steps!