Re: [Phys-l] Students' READING abilities

Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:
I tried something different in class today. I modeled what is required
to read the text.
From a quick survey at the outset, it was clear that such an activity
might be helpful. ....

So, I sat down amidst the students (just 7 in Engineering Physics II)
and read thru parts of the text that we were studying - picking out a
few paragraphs, equations and figures to concentrate on. (Fortunately
most had brought their texts!) Pretty much every sentence I stopped and
asked someone for a response - to paraphrase; to define words; to
relate the words to an equation; etc. ...
It was slow going. ...
In the end, most students seemed to think it was a good day and I got
mostly positive feedback ....
Tim F
That positive feedback you mentioned would emanate not only from the students...
I am encouraged that this is done. But not enough, I expect.
You would do the readership here a service by asking students for their recall of the text that you treated this way, compared with the text you treated just previous to this mode.

Brian W