Re: [Phys-l] Students' READING abilities

At 15:36 -0700 02/23/2009, John Denker wrote:

What I'm about to say may seem heretical, but please hear me out.

I think it's going too far to tell students they must understand
every sentence in the assigned reading. IMHO that's an extreme
position. I am not arguing for the opposite extreme, but I am
arguing for some moderation.

OK. I'll admit to making a point by overstating it. But there is also a difference between reading a book on a topic about which you already know something and reading one in which you are starting from scratch. I often read books about which I know a good deal, mainly to see if the author has anything new to offer, or if the approach to the subject is sufficiently different that I can deepen my understanding from it. On those occasions where I'm looking at a new subject, I have to work a lot harder to make sure I understand what the author is doing before I can go on. Otherwise, I will find myself hopelessly lost in pretty short order.

I think most of the students we are talking about here are in this latter category, and they should expect to have to read very carefully and at least know when the author is taking them into new and uncharted (for the student, at least) territory, and they need to make sure that they are following the arguments well enough that they can make sense of what comes next, and if what comes next doesn't make any sense, they need to stop and see if its possible to make sense out of it, and if not, seek some help.

It's always possible that the author is either wrong, or misleading, and the beginning student will not always realize this, so sometimes the reason the student is having problems is because what the author is saying really doesn't make sense. That's when the student needs to seek help, and the teacher needs to alert students to just such eventualities. That might make them less reluctant to seek help. It doesn't hurt to remind the students every so often that no book is perfect, and what is giving the students problems may well be a mistake of the author's.

Of course a text needs to have relatively few errors to be worthwhile. If the book is full of errors it shouldn't be used. But the occasional error and be used to advantage--it can be a great confidence-builder to the student to be the one who discovers and error, and it can often be a teaching moment for the teacher.

But, yes, I agree that it is not reasonable to expect the students to understand 100% of what they read. I haven't yet achieved that goal myself, so I won't demand it of my students. But they need to read with close enough attention, that they will at least know that something isn't making sense to them, and to wonder why. The more they practice that technique, the less they will have to actually think about it, and the reading should go more smoothly.

I also agree with the remark about teachers of science teaching the reading of science tests in their classes. But I really don't know how to do it, other than by haranguing the students to pay better attention while reading, a technique widely known for its ineffectiveness. Perhaps all teachers need a course in now to teach textbook reading, along with time to do so in their curricula (but just what will we leave out of the already vastly overcrowded physics curriculum?).

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto: hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org