Re: [Phys-l] scientific notation

Steve Clark <sclarkphd@mindspring.com> 2/20/2009 7:04 pm >>>
[snip]They then bring
that calculator with them to physics class where we periodically need
to input scientific notation. The students see the ^ key and use it to
enter numbers with powers of 10. Usually it works, but every now and
then a kid will screw it up and end up a factor of 10 too big (or too
small). I point out the EE key which most of them have never noticed
before. [snip][endquote]

What's really bad is when the use that method and then have to square (or cube or other exponent) of that quantity. For example h squared ends up as 0 because they squared the -34 exponent. Or c**2 (yea, FORTRAN) ends up as 3E64. I now start each semester with a 4-minute lesson on entering scientific notation using a calculator, then count off if they mess it up on tests. They learn quickly to do it right.

Bill Nettles
Union University