Re: [Phys-l] scientific notation

I blame this error on the high school math departments. At my school the students are given a graphing calculator with no instruction on how to use it (except what is being taught in class). They then bring that calculator with them to physics class where we periodically need to input scientific notation. The students see the ^ key and use it to enter numbers with powers of 10. Usually it works, but every now and then a kid will screw it up and end up a factor of 10 too big (or too small). I point out the EE key which most of them have never noticed before.

Years ago when calculators were just beginning to enter the classroom, I would spend time actually teaching the calculator. But now I assume the math department is doing it since they're the ones giving them out. Unfortunately, it's not being done, so I guess t falls back on me.

Nice to know that college kids can't use their calculators either.

Steve Clark