[Phys-l] Bump Keys (was FCI answer?)

Bill Nettles wrote:
.. I said "Oh, this is vector addition." But a closer look makes me think of "instantaneous" perpendicular impulse.
What do you think is intended?
Bill
This reminds me of bump keys, though their way of passing an impulse to the five pins of a cylinder lock
is not completely relevant.

It turns out, that for a great majority of American house keys, a choice of six or seven key blanks will suffice to open them. They are first cut to the lowest depression offered for each pin, with a saw tooth to the next pin position of the five usually fitted.
This guarantees that the key will completely enter a cylinder lock of that profile.
Then with the key pulled back half a pin space, the key is bumped forward with a mallet, toffee hammer, wood block, or whatever. The pins resting perpendicular to the long axis of the key and its surrounding cylinder,
are set into motion outwards by the key's saw tooth impulse. Meanwhile the operator, applying a slight turning torque to the key, ensures that the transverse momentum of the locking pins is stopped at the junction of the rotary cylinder and the outer stationary pins. With all pins set to the parting surface, the cylinder can turn - and does. So much more accessible than skeleton keys so called, or lock-picks.

BrianW