Re: [Phys-l] Textbooks vs multimedia

Hi-
You've explained what you do, but I miss from your posting any
evidence of what your students get out of all this.
Regards,
Jack

My classes are a mixed bag. Some will go into engineering, most will follow other scientific careers, maybe one or two will go into physics, as a career.

Having an engineering degree, I recognize that the Physics we teach at the 1st year level is not meant to impart specific knowledge of techniques, but to show students what Physics is all about, as an intellectual activity.

Thus, future engineers will learn the techniques proper to their trade in engineering school, including specialized physics courses. Other scientists (e.g., medicine, agriculture, biologists, etc.) will get whatever physics they need -if they need any- in their own programs.

As a result, I arrange my courses so students can get a vision of what physics is about. I go lightly over derivations that are mathematically taxing, but whose point is not appreciated by the majority of students. I avoid assigning problems where the mathematics tends to obscure the physics. I ask them to broaden their horizons by connecting course work with the "outside world". I insist on the importance of good communication, so they make an oral scientific (of sorts) presentation. I know that engineering schools complain that students - who know their subject matter - do not know how to communicate well, either orally or in writing. Most English departments fear to get involved in scientific communication.

I suppose the only students who will not benefit much from my courses are the 2 or 3, out of 40, who will become physicists! For that I humbly seek forgiveness from this list.

About textbook use: Knowing that students do not read, I try to familiarize them with the good aspects of textbooks (there are some), including diagrams, pictures, and yes, the "distracting" sidebars about technology. I hope that they will read on their own, and fill the blanks where I do not cover material during classes.

Fouad I. Ajami
Physics Department
Champlain College
900 Riverside Drive,