Re: [Phys-l] Successful Schools

I just looked up Crawford, and you should look at:
<http://blogs.chron.com/schoolzone/2008/11/on_the_hisd_agenda_school_clos_1.
html>

It seems that Crawford elementary is due to close and be consolidated, so
you better get there quickly to find out what is going on.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

John (and anyone else who may have an insider's knowledge of Houston
schools);

I am applying for grants to travel the country and document schools that
are
having outstanding success in science despite challenging demographics. I
hope to interview individuals, walk through classrooms, and study data and
then share that information via executive summary, videos, and websites to
anyone who is interested.

There happens to be a rash of these amazing schools in the Houston ISD. I
don't have the data in front of me, but I remember one such school is
Crawford Elementary School. CES is 100% Hispanic and African American,
100%
free lunch, and 40+% English Learners and achieved 100% proficiency on the
state science test!

One could argue that Texas' standards are easy, cut scores are low, or
exams
are aimed at a low level, but if that were the case, then all of the
schools
in Texas would have 100% proficiency . . . and they don't.

What I'm hoping is that you have some insight into what these Houston
Schools might be doing to achieve such success. I remember Crawford
Elementary, Energized for Excellence Middle School, and a charter high
school were in the group. There were about 4 other elementary schools
with
similar success too.

Any insight? I have already studied the standards, cut scores, released
test questions, average class size, teacher experience, and per-pupil
spending and they are all very similar to California's. I don't think
that
we have a school in the state with 100% proficiency, even in Beverly Hills
or the OC.

I picked on John because his email signature hails from Houston, but
anyone
else with insight is welcome to comment. Or if you know of a school like
this in another state and have some insight into their keys to success,
I'd
appreciate that information as well.

Thanks in advance,
M. Horton