[Phys-l] Successful Schools

John (and anyone else who may have an insider's knowledge of Houston
schools);

I am applying for grants to travel the country and document schools that are
having outstanding success in science despite challenging demographics. I
hope to interview individuals, walk through classrooms, and study data and
then share that information via executive summary, videos, and websites to
anyone who is interested.

There happens to be a rash of these amazing schools in the Houston ISD. I
don't have the data in front of me, but I remember one such school is
Crawford Elementary School. CES is 100% Hispanic and African American, 100%
free lunch, and 40+% English Learners and achieved 100% proficiency on the
state science test!

One could argue that Texas' standards are easy, cut scores are low, or exams
are aimed at a low level, but if that were the case, then all of the schools
in Texas would have 100% proficiency . . . and they don't.

What I'm hoping is that you have some insight into what these Houston
Schools might be doing to achieve such success. I remember Crawford
Elementary, Energized for Excellence Middle School, and a charter high
school were in the group. There were about 4 other elementary schools with
similar success too.

Any insight? I have already studied the standards, cut scores, released
test questions, average class size, teacher experience, and per-pupil
spending and they are all very similar to California's. I don't think that
we have a school in the state with 100% proficiency, even in Beverly Hills
or the OC.

I picked on John because his email signature hails from Houston, but anyone
else with insight is welcome to comment. Or if you know of a school like
this in another state and have some insight into their keys to success, I'd
appreciate that information as well.

Thanks in advance,
M. Horton