Re: [Phys-l] science education goals and strategies

My point in switching perspective is to remind myself that I've been in first-year physics for 20 years, still learning that material, a little more each year. And frankly, I've discussed this with colleagues and never met one who felt differently about that. Every year, I teach students who learn more than I did at that age, but it still seems reasonable to expect that they will learn more deeply the next time they look at the material. I also teach AP physics. For 30 of the 50 AP students I have this year, I was also their first year teacher. Only some of the material is review, but they do seem to show greater understanding the next time around. I may be misunderstanding your objection, but to me this seems like an uncontroversial idea.
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Jack Uretsky [jlu@hep.anl.gov]
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:52 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] science education goals and strategies

Let me point out a major logical flaw in the dialogu:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Philip Keller wrote:

Two comments come to mind:(quoting in relevant context...)

1. About "spiraling": I agree that you have a better understanding
the second, third, nth time you study something.
I remember how little I understood during my first years TEACHING physics.
To me, this also relates to the question discussed...
The switch from the second person to the first person between the first
two statements is telling. My response is, "No Philip, Your response is
not necessarily6 indicative of the majority response of students!"
Regards,
Jack