[Phys-l] Detecting ultrasonic ring tones

This is going to sound unusual, but has anyone had problems with
students using those ultrasonic ringtones in their classroom?

At my school, students are to keep their cell phones turned off and in
their lockers, but of course many do not. On occasion, I've also had to
confiscate some cell phones because the students were texting during
class. Just the other day, when a student should have been keeping an
eye on his burner, he was too involved in texting his friends...he was
sent to the office.

I know the students are using those ultrasonic ringtones, the tones that
kids can hear, but not adults. A lot of students tell me that this is a
problem in our school, especially in some classrooms.

Today, I came across a website that I thought might assist us with this
problem. It has instructions on how to make an ultrasonic bat detector
(http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/09/make_podcast_weekend_projects_
7.html). Has anyone made anything like this? Does anyone know if this
would work on those ultrasonic ringtones? I thought it would be nice to
make one, but instead of converting the sound into a more audible sound,
perhaps have it light up some small lights to let us know that a
ringtone is going off.

Any input or suggestions on this would be appreciated.