Re: [Phys-l] perfect-square puzzler

Spoiler alert! Don't read on if you still want more time to find a quick solution to this type of puzzle. A 3-second method to show that these various numbers proposed are not perfect squares:

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

All the numbers proposed so far have been divisible by 2 but not by 4. The unique prime factorization of any perfect square must consist of an even number of each prime factor. In this case we need only notice that there is 1 factor of 2, not an even number of 2s, therefore the number is not a perfect square.

How can we at a glance know that 60993193026 is divisible by 2 but not by 4?

2 divides x if and only if 2 divides the last digit of x: so if x ends with 0,2,4,6,8.

4 divides x if and only if 4 divides the number formed by the last 2 digits of x.

We see immediately that the long number above ends with 6 (divisible by 2) and its last 2 digits are 26: not divisibility by 4. Therefore the number is not a perfect square.

It is easy to prove that these above-mentioned divisibility rules are valid:

For 2: Write x = 10a + b, where b is the last digit of x, and a is the rest of the number. Since 2 divides 10, 2 divides 10a, and so 2 divides x if and only if x divides b.

For 4: Write x = 100a + b, where b is the number formed from the last two digits of x, and a is the rest of the number. Since 4 divides 100, 4 divides 100a, and so 4 divides x if and only if x divides b.

[Some steps skipped, but this gives the gist of the proof.]

For more information about divisibility tests, see, for example, my Mathematica demonstration highlighting some of the simpler ones: <http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/VisibleDivisibilityTests/>.

Now, for your continued pleasure, is this a perfect square? 24 066 000 624 000

There are 2 quick ways to show that it isn't!

Enjoy!

Ken Caviness
Physics Department
Southern Adventist University