Re: [Phys-l] The attack on science is political, not philosophical

At 13:01 -0600 1/18/08, Bill Nettles wrote:

It has been those who abuse or eliminate religion for the purpose of empowerment and control that have caused the most harm.

I'm sure that some would say that religion is only about the control of the many by the few, but I think that is a false assertion.

While the first statement is probably correct, I "hae me doobts" about the second. History is replete with examples of the use of religion to control the many by the few, and you have used several in your post, but do you have any examples to the contrary which could be used as evidence of your conjecture that the assertion is false? I know of none myself, but then I haven't made a comprehensive search for them.

And what evidence do you have that Hitler wasn't religious? I have seen no statement of his that indicates he wasn't religious and many that assert his religious convictions. His virulent anti-semitism was religiously-based unless someone has come up with a reason for anti-semitism that isn't religiously-based. Again, I know of none.

Admittedly, Communism has resulted in a very large number of deaths in efforts to suppress its opponents and dissidents. But, as with the perversion of many religions for the purpose of power and control, the communism practiced by most of its modern cadre of leadership has hardly been much related to its roots in the writings of Karl Marx. And in contrast to much of modern atheism, it practiced a particularly dogmatic variety of atheism, far from the rational variety one mostly sees today (rational in the sense that it purports to base its tenets on rational argument rather than "faith" in the revealed word of a supreme being). I would also add that modern Communism has about the same relationship to the writings of Marx as modern Christianity has to the (purported) sayings of Jesus of Nazareth.

I also think that the number of deaths achieved by the communists in the 20th century is mainly a technological phenomenon. It is likely that the number would have been much greater in earlier times had 1) there been more people around, and 2) had the technology for engineering mass exterminations existed. Whether it would have been greater than was was achieved recently will remain conjecture. But of course Communism is an invention of the 19th century. Other types of religions have had millennia to work their magic, so the comparison is probably not apt at best.

Most atheists who I know (including myself) did not come to their opinions based on a rejection of the use of religion to justify various forms of repressive practices, but in the illogic of the foundations of religions, based on an acceptance of the claims of some individuals or groups of individuals who assert they "have been visited by a god or gods (or his or her representative), and been given the truth thereby."

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar