Re: [Phys-l] The attack on science is political, not philosophical

I think that the "blowing up" people (or killing or enslaving enmass) usually comes when people abandon the religious principle and move toward power, control, and enrichment of the few at the expense of the many, and opposition is deemed intolerable. Then the fallacy of hasty generalization creeps in, lumping all associated with a particular religious (or even political or sociological) viewpoint with the power-hungry extremist.

No, the religions don't do the harm, the self-centered mis-applicant does. Hitler was not religious, but he used Christian language to co-opt the Christian Church in the 1930's and they became powerless when he showed his true colors. Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot were not religious at all and seeked to destroy religion, at the same time ruthlessly killing anyone who was perceived by them to have any possibility of opposing their power (communist party purge, kulak purges, Cultural Revolution, killing fields). Kings of England and France abused Christian language to justify an attempted grab of geography and wealth in the Crusades. Muslims justified the African slave trade by saying the tribal non-Muslims were made for financing the spread of Islam. Irreligious businessmen cooperated with the Muslims in profiting from slavery.

It was religious people who believed the universe had consistent, reproducible behavior and could be mathematically predictable. It was religious people who thought that public health policy was important, It was religious people who thought that people besides those whose sperm-donor was "a king" should have a voice in government, with protections against political abuse. It was religious people who abolished the European/American slave trade of Africans.

It has been those who abuse or eliminate religion for the purpose of empowerment and control that have caused the most harm.

I'm sure that some would say that religion is only about the control of the many by the few, but I think that is a false assertion.

Enjoy the weekend!
Bill

"Richard Tarara" <rbtarara@sprynet.com> 1/17/2008 4:05 pm >>>
People who have a certain 'disdain' for religions (as apposed to theologies)
at least don't seem to be blowing up people in the name of that disdain. A
long ago note suggested that religions seem to have a social purpose-which
they certain can have. The question for many is whether, in the end, these
religions do more harm than good. Of course, and we've seen this expressed
several times on this list, 'my religion' is just fine....its those other
ones! ;-)

Rick