Re: [Phys-l] Inertia?

Bob wrote:

Would anyone ever say "I wonder why that ball sitting on the table doesn't just all of a sudden start moving on it's own?" How is steady motion different? Why does it need an explanation?

I don't propose to answer your question here, only to note that some of the most intelligent people on the planet once thought that "steady motion" was *quite* different from "rest." If it really doesn't seem so to you, I suspect that may have something to do with your training.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona