Re: [Phys-l] Inertia?

I find that comment puzzling. Would anyone ever say "I wonder why that ball sitting on the table doesn't just all of a sudden start moving on it's own?" How is steady motion different? Why does it need an explanation?

Bob at PC

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Tue 11/11/2008 6:26 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Inertia?

Nobody really knows why a moving abject keeps going. There is no
explanation for this idea called "inertia" (or momentum, I guess). It just
is. Similarly, nobody truly understands gravity and why objects fall. Not
sure if anyone ever will. The "laws" of nature exist, whether we
understand them or not.