Re: [Phys-l] EM, is it energy

On Nov 30, 2007, at 1:40 PM, John Denker wrote:

There is an abstract notion of conservative flow that
is /approximately/ realized by flowing water and very
very /precisely/ realized by energy.

Feynman seemed to consider "Conservation of energy" as a possible assumption.

According to Feynman, "...If we assume that it is true, and add the principles of quantum mechanics, then we can deduce the principle of the conservation of energy." (Vol I, 4-7)

Actually, I have also come across many books explaining that conservation of energy is violated in quantum physics. For example, we can "borrow" energy from uncertainty principle...

Perhaps, we should explain that this "abstraction" is conserved in all circumstances. Let's call it *conservation of abstraction*... :-)

Alphonsus