Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

The May article makes things clearer. The 'trick' here is to separate the tire into a top half and a bottom half. The tension of the bead pulling on the wheel is uniform around the wheel with the wheel off the ground, but when on the ground two things happen to the bottom half of the tire. It has an upwards force of the road (a portion of the weight of the car) and the deformation (bulging) of the bottom of the tire changes the direction of the pull on the bottom half of the wheel and the vertical component of the road force. These two effects reduce the force of the bottom half of the tire compared to the top half by just the amount of weight that the tire must support.

That the road force can be considered to act only on the bottom half of the tire is, I assume, due to the flexibility of the tire. That is, if the tire were really rigid, we would have to take the force to be acting on the entire tire, but then the rigid side-walls could support the weight through compression.

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Sciamanda" <trebor@winbeam.com>

I resurrected two papers - in The Physics Teacher, not the AJP. Both
agree with Michael Edmiston:

1) "What holds up the steel wheels of an automobile?", W Shurcliff,
TPT, 32, pg 296, May 1994
2) "How do tubeless tires support an auto?", J Sperry and E Jones, TPT
32, pg 174, March 1994

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Emeritus)
www.winbeam.com/~trebor