Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

That is a different question--thus 'Another' in this thread I started.

The question below was well answered, I thought, by Car Talk with the help of Wolfgang.

To summarize: The number of molecules of gas don't change, the temperature doesn't change, and the internal volume of the tire doesn't really change, so the pressure doesn't change. If the car is REALLY heavy, then there might be some measurable change in internal tire volume and therefore some change in pressure, but any 'real world' change would be very small and beyond the ability of commonly available pressure gauges to read. (The tires squash but bulge when on the ground--leaving the internal volume essentially unchanged).

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

I am curious why the discussion has not addressed the original question
posed way back - Will the tire pressure read differently if the car is
resting on its wheels versus being up on a lift?