[Phys-l] text book list: report

A short list of physics reference books.

This is a follow up of an earlier post.

Background: My books were stored while I was away for a year on sabbatical so that my office could be used by visiting faculty. When I returned, only about half of my personal library could be found. So I thought if I was going to replace them with a smaller subset of more up-to-date references I wanted to start with a list of what people considered to be “essential” books at the undergrad and grad level, hence this list.

How the list was generated:

* Suggestions from Phys-L listserve (Thanks all!).
* Lists of physics books found on the web (by various Google searches).
* Listmania lists on Amazon. (Reader reviews were taken into account).
* Texts used in the physics department at Harvard (mainly because I know someone there who went to the bookstore and sent me names of texts).
* I only included books that appeared at least twice in the above lists.

Here is the list, I'd appreciate any comments:

http://physics.ius.edu/~kyle/stuff/TextBookList.htm

Thanks again for the help,

kyle

'Violence is the last refuge of the