Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

While I fully understand the reasons for the 'need' for teacher's unions in public education, the net effect has not been entirely positive. In my mind, the most serious problem with unions is that they foster a 'blue-collar' attitude on the part of far too many teachers. That is, way too many teachers are 'punching the clock' rather than being professional educators. That, unfortunately, seems to be the nature of the union beast.
Teachers will have less of a blue collar attitude if administrators treated them more like professionals. Unfortunately in HS, and even more so in the lower grades administrators will make demands that have little to do with good education. Also teachers are subjected to innane pop-psychology and other things in the name of "educational improvement". All of this is not very professional.

As to unions promoting punching the clock, the actor's union is one of the most powerful unions, and actors hardly punch the clock. They often work for long hours and subjected to dangerous conditions. The average actor does not really make much, but the stars are probably overpaid. The reason for the sctor's union was the abuses where promoters would leave town and take the night's proceeds with them. The studios would subject actors to even more dangerous conditions, and not provide the necessary care after injuries. I doubt that actors think of themselves as blue collar.

Unions also server another increasingly important function in today's society. Teachers are now being sued and the unions provide insurance for this. In our litigious society teachers are increasingly being sued for "malpractice".

Of course the schools and districts are doin a CYA job because they hide incompetent or even abusive teachers. They will let them resign, and then not reveal the problems to other schools. I know of cases of teachers who were caught in the act with a student, were allowed to resign, and then ended up in another district.

Now some schools do treat their teachers like professionals, but all too often they do not. In the most extreme examples they require that teachers be covering the same pages of the book on the same day and give the same tests even across a district. This is not only demeaning, but also bad pedagogy. They also provide totally scripted lessons in some schools, so where is the professionalism?

In Japan, and in Europe teachers are accorded much more respect and are treated like professionals.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX